Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Another Butternut Squash Soup

This recipe is one I've used over the past few years.  It's a smooth, creamy tasting butternut squash soup.  First I get my ingredients together.  


Cutting up butternut squashes 2 days in a row has really taxed my muscles!  Anyway, I forgot to take a picture of the squash so if you need to see it look at yesterdays lol!  I scrubbed up everything really well cuz I leave the skins on when possible.

The (2) yams are technically only yams because they are in this country.  Those out of the USA would still probably call them sweet potatoes.


I leave the skins on the 2 Yukon Gold potatoes.


Skin on the apple too.


Skins are also on the 2 pears.


 Everything is cubed and makes up a pretty mix in a waaaay too full crockpot.  I added 6 cups of vegetable broth.


Ground pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings are added (in hindsight I think I usually add them once it's finished but I will adjust "to taste" when it's done anyway.  See, I told you it's too full.  I think I can get away with it though . . .


Cook on low for 8 hours.


After everything is tender, I use a hand blender to make it nice and creamy.  The Butternut is on the bottom so blending will totally change how it looks.
  

 Ta da!


The original recipe called for adding heavy cream to help smooth it out but I can't take something so healthy and add all those calories and fat (51 calories in 1 tablespoon, 95% fat).  I substitute yogurt and it works fine (works great in many recipes).


Sprinkle a bit of parmesan  . . . 


And the best thing is that I have a bunch to put in the freezer (not counting yesterday's soup)!


I will likely never post another cooking post cuz I am done cooking for this decade!



F



6 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh no don't stop!!! Can't help thinking this would be on the sweet side with that fruit added, but that wouldn't stop me trying this version (minus the apple - allergic to apple)...
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's sweet at all - just delicious!

      Delete
  2. LOL..for the decade huh?? I'm going to try this for next week lunches! I love that you serve them in bread bowls! I'm all for seeing more big batch slow cooker recipes if you recover from this week's cooking ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fleur,
    THANKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YOU! WE LOVE SOUP AND THIS ONE SOUNDS OUT OF THIS WORLD DELICIOUS. COPING IT NOW
    HUGS HiC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. We make pumpkin soup all the time, but I have never thought of adding apples, of which we have an abundance of in autumn, or pears. In New Zealand what we call sweet potatoe is kumera, which due to a number of rather wet seasons is now NZ$10 (US$6.88) per kilo (2.2lbs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Havent had butternut squash before but this looks very interesting

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave me a comment. Even if only one word so I know you were here.